Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I am a Feminist

Yesterday I read at Cyclops in Baltimore. What a weird deal. I thought it was going to be fun and I was going to ride over and back with my other readers. Why else would I take a bus to Baltimore? This didn't happen, 2 people backed out and the other who organized it ended up inviting 3 of his guy friends who all got a car ride over. When I got there, there was no one there for the reading. Just 3 other male readers, the male store owner, and the male videographer. I thought, I don't even want to read.

And then 4 rad womyn showed up and I was never so glad to see another female in my life. I mean that. I have never felt that way before. Went up to them and asked' "you aren't leaving, are you?" Turns out they were women's studies majors and produce the great feminist zine, Hoax. We swapped zines and I read my very feminine/feminist piece, then the guys blew me off and the girls walked me to the bus stop. Thanks, Hoax! I submitted the piece to their next issue that I read at Cyclops and I am looking forward to reading the issues they gave me, plus Sari's perzine "You've got a Friend in PA".